How often do finches moult.

Is your finch sick or not well find out why ask your questions here

How often do finches moult.

Postby lyn2233 on 14 May 2010, 06:13

Hi I was wondering how often finches moult. My Stars and Red Faced parrot finches look a bit dull, the stars look like they are losing feathers on their heads.Also I have 3 pairs of zebras in a small aviary 2 pairs I have had for 6 years,I got a zebra finch from the RSPCA (was left at a house that the people were evicted)I gave her a mate she had 3 babies her mate died for no reason she is very aggressive. She was good with her babies, I have now got her a new mate but she chases him and is aggressive to him. Should I put her in a cage by herself as she stressing the others out? Will a finch be okay by itself in a cage without the company of other finches? :(
lyn2233

Re: How often do finches moult.

Postby GregH on 14 May 2010, 06:22

Your Zeb hen certainly sounds like a bit of a dragon lady so she could very well be your source of stress. Once the juvenile moult is completed then moulting once a year is normal and desirable - anything else is a sign of stress. I've heard that parrot finches are prone to forced moults but I don't have any experince other than a bald gouldian hen and she stayed that way for almost a year until she had her normal moult. In her case the localised feather loss was caused by a topical chemical toxicity. If feathers are forcibly removed (pulled out) they usually grow back in a few weeks.
GregH

Postby finchbreeder on 14 May 2010, 12:43

You could put your aggressive hen in a small cage inside the avairy. Stops her being a pain in the but and allows her to still have company. Problem solved.
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Postby lyn2233 on 14 May 2010, 21:08

Thanks guys I have left her for the moment and spending alot of time drinking cups of tea and watching her interact with the 5 other zebras.If I think she is stressing them out to much I will take her out and put her in a cage. Not getting much done lately as I spend so much time just WATCHING my finches. LOVE IT. :D :D
lyn2233

Return to Health